How to look after Luxury Vinyl Tiles
Luxury vinyl tiles don’t just look unbelievable, they feel unbelievable and really make your house a home. To keep up that look and feel, you of course have to clean and maintain them properly. Here are a few tips to look after them in the best possible way.
1. Treat your luxury vinyl tile flooring with care and avoid damage from pushing or dragging furniture around. Lift anything that needs to be moved around if you can.
2. If you can’t lift something over, then just use strips of wood as a runner to help protect your vinyl tiles. We’d even still recommend to do this with furniture or items that have wheels or rollers, just to be on the safe side.
3. If you’re buying a rug make sure it has a non-slip backing. This way you won’t injure yourself by slipping on it. If you already have rugs that don’t and you don’t want to buy more, just invest in a bit of non-slip rug underlay.
Keeping your luxury vinyl flooring tiles clean
Luxury vinyl flooring tiles is super easy to clean which makes it perfect for family homes where spillages and stains are more common.
● Luxury vinyl flooring is so simple to clean. Most floors usually only require a brush and a mop every now and then.
● Remove loose debris as often as you can. Try to hoover often or sweep with a soft brush.
● Give it a weekly wash to get rid of any stains, just use a normal mop wrung out well. Try not to soak the floor, if you can’t do that, just use a damp cloth.
Removing stains from luxury vinyl tiles
Luxury vinyl tile flooring is usually easy to clean, however some stains (especially in the kitchen) may be more difficult to remove than others. Below are our tips on how to remove them:
● Best to use a damp cloth (use hot water) and a mild cleaning detergent to get rid of the stain or mark.
● Try not to drown the floor in water. Just use a well wrung out mop or cloth to wipe the stain.
● If this doesn’t work, get a soft brush to remove the mark. Use gentle circular movements to rub at the stain so you don’t damage the surface of the vinyl tile flooring.
● You can just use cleaning chemicals and agents to remove stubborn stains; just make sure they’re suitable for use on LVT flooring.
● Always rinse of LVT flooring with clean water after cleaning.
● Don’t stand on it (animals too) while it’s wet, let it dry thoroughly.
● Things like steam cleaner and a strong cleaning agent on your LVT floor is a no go.
Maintain your luxury vinyl tile flooring
Luxury Vinyl Flooring - General Tips
Don’t be scared! A brush/clean on a weekly basis can keep your flooring looking good.
● To trap dirt and moisture have doormats at all entrances. Use a large doormat at entrances that are used the most, this will protect your luxury tiles from dirt a lot more than having a standard sized mat.
● Try not to let extreme sunlight cause discolouration or fading of your luxury vinyl tiles (keep the blinds closed a bit).
Luxury Vinyl Tile - Finish Maintenance
● First, you’ll need to remove any food stains, grease or liquid spills as soon as they happen if you can. Usually, this can be done using cleaning products and a damp cloth. Just make sure it doesn’t say on the back of the bottle that it can’t be used on the tiles.
● Try to use as little floor cleaner as possible to avoid it being slippy.
● Wax should never be used with vinyl tile flooring as it can make the floor slippery and dull the tiles.
Luxury vinyl flooring - Reparation
It’s so simple to repair or replace your luxury vinyl tiles. Forget removing the tile, in most cases it can be fixed without the need to remove the whole tile itself. If a tile is severely damaged not to worry, you don’t have to remove all the other tiles. Just take the damaged one out and replace. Easy!
Luxury Vinyl Tiles - How To Repair
● First, get some epoxy resin. Usually a clear liquid that will dry out to create a hard filling in the area that is damaged.
● Next, the colour. You’ll need to find some acrylic artist’s paint for this, just make sure it matches the colour of the luxury vinyl tile that needs to be repaired.
● Mix the epoxy resin and paint together, then fill in the damaged area
● Level out the mixture and then leave the repair to dry.
Luxury Vinyl Flooring Tiles - How to Remove and Replace
● Using a blow dryer or heat gun, loosen the adhesive under the tile which holds it in place. This will allow you to remove the tile from the floor entirely.
● Wipe the floor beneath the tile clean and replace the removed tile with a new one that is cut to size and glued down.
● Make sure the new tile matches your existing flooring and align any patterns on the floor for a professional result.
● Use a rolling pin or floor roller to push the tile down firmly into place. This will prevent any air bubbles/lumps or bumps from appearing on the surface.
Handy hints and tips
• Wipe up household spills as soon as possible. Vinyl flooring is resilient; however, spills should still be cleaned up immediately. If the spill is left on the floor for a long period of time, you risk permanently staining the floor.
•Use a doormat to keep out dirt. Grit and dirt that is tracked in from your shoes can act like sandpaper, removing the finish from your vinyl floor.
• Protect your flooring from heavy furniture by using floor protectors. A good rule of thumb is that the heavier the item, the wider the floor protector is required.
• Wash your floor occasionally with a floor cleaner. Look for a neutral cleaner that isn't too harsh.
• Sweep, dust, or vacuum your floor daily if needed.
•When moving heavy appliances or furniture it is a good idea to use a plywood sheeting path. If the item is too heavy you can use the plywood path to drag it over. This will protect your flooring and make your move easier.
• Never use a detergent that is abrasive. Vinegar or "mop and shine" products may leave a film on your floor, rather than give you that shiny floor that you seek.
• Never use a wax polish
• Never use an abrasive scrubbing tool on your floor. This can cause scratches and harm your flooring.
• Never use a beater bar when vacuuming. This can cause damage to the floor surface.
• Never drench your luxury vinyl floor with water. Water from an overly wet mop can destroy the glue bond that holds down the vinyl. This can cause corners to curl and the floor to become loose.
• Never use rolling castors. Rolling castors can damage the surface on your floor. Instead, use chairs with felt pads, which won't harm your vinyl.
Looking at replacing your floor?
Is your floor looking a little worse for wear? It may be time to invest in a new floor covering that lasts longer. Take a look at our high-quality, range of luxury vinyl tiles and read our luxury vinyl tile buying guide for help on choosing the right one.
Has your LVT flooring come to the end of its lengthy lifespan? Do not panic here at Flooring Direct we have many ranges fit for every taste. If you are looking for a new design do not worry, check out our full range and guide, if you can’t decide we will try our very best to help you make the right choice.